Three police officers saved an elderly couple Saturday after a nurse discovered them unconscious in their south Charlotte home, which apparently filled with carbon monoxide from a vehicle left running overnight in the garage.
The incident happened on Cypress Creek Lane in the Cypress of Charlotte, a gated retirement community off Park Road, about midway between Archdale Drive and Sharon Road.
A nurse who checks on the couple daily went to the home just after 7 a.m. and heard the alarm of a carbon monoxide detector, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg police. Inside, she found the couple unconscious and ran outside to call 911.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg police Officers J.W. Hovis, G.R. Lineberger and R.M. Kierce were passing by the area when the call came in to dispatchers. They were the first to arrive, within about three minutes, police said.