A 19-year veteran of the Brevard County Sheriff’s Department, Deputy Brandy Torquato, pulled a disabled woman from a burning mobile home Saturday afternoon and then returned to the smoke-filled structure to bring out the family dog.
Torquato was taken to Wuesthoff Medical Center in Rockledge where she was examined for smoke inhalation and then released.
The fire, ignited apparently by an electrical malfunction on the outside of the mobile home, had moved underneath the structure before crews from Brevard County Fire-Rescue were able to extinguish the flames.
Betty Tyler, who lives with her husband at the residence, 4790 Sherry Lane in Cocoa, called 9-1-1 after waking up from a nap to find the structure filled with smoke. Tyler recently had knee surgery and was unable to get outside the mobile home on her own. No one else was in the home at the time.
Torquato arrived before the fire crews and other deputies.
“I couldn’t get out of the house and she just threw me over her shoulder and took me outside,” Tyler said. “Then she went back and got the dog.”